Who can join the SBMEN?
Membership is open to editorial professionals in the book and magazine industry. It is also extended to those who work within technical publications, broadcasting, digital media, legal services, communications, public relations and academia.
Joining SBMEN gives members the opportunity to belong to a community of like-minded professionals. Membership in SBMEN positions individuals to attain the heights of editorial competence and validate their skills and capability to work globally. The committee on standards oversees the acceptance and qualification of applicants into the society as members.
Anyone can join the Society without a background in book and magazine publishing or basic training in proofreading and copy-editing or a degree in the Arts or Publishing. However, individuals must be interested in pursuing a career in the field and committed to reaching the highest-grade level. Also, they must support the mission of the society and adhere to SBMEN by-laws that set out the standards of work, practice and conduct expected of all members.
The society offers four categories of membership: Trainee, Intermediate, Advance and Professional membership. At the highest-grade level (professional), SBMEN will encourage members to get accredited to demonstrate their growth, expertise and increased market value they have earned through the courses.
- This is an Entry-Level grade for people with limited or no professional training or experience that wish to get basic training in the profession.
- This grade is suitable for beginners, students and editorial assistants and freelancers with 1–2 years experience.
- Interested applicants must submit a CV, two references in the profession, fill out the application form and pay the membership fee for this level.
- Interested individuals in this category have acquired adequate experience, but wish to deepen their experience and improve their skills.
- Members in this grade must have 3–4 years editorial experience.
- They must submit a CV, two references in the profession, fill out the application form and pay the membership fee for this level.
- Interested individuals in this category have acquired substantial skill, experience and knowledge in editing.
- Members in this grade must have 5–7 years and above experience in publishing or editing.
- Applicants in this category must submit a CV, two references, fill the application form and pay the membership fee for this level.
- Interested individuals in this category have a wealth of experience and specialist knowledge.
- Members in this grade must have 8 years and above experience in publishing, editing or communications.
- Applicants in this category must submit a CV, three references, fill the application form and pay the membership fee for this level.
Important Notice: For the second year in a row, SBMEN will only offer membership only in one level – the Trainee Level. Again, this is open to all editors, regardless of the length of their experience, for the 2020/2021 applications.
In 2021, the pioneer members of SBMEN will qualify to move to the next level, which is the Intermediate Level.
Membership is also open to organisations that manage content and wish to improve or maintain the quality of their print or/and online content, business communications or business writing skills. Eligible organisations include publishing houses, small businesses, corporate organisations, and non-profits that care about editorial excellence. They can join as a corporate subscriber.